3.27.2011

Reading Response: Diagram by Ellen Lupton

Networks Diagrams pg. 201
Diagrams help us see relationships within information, they are a "graphic representation of a structure, situation or process." A diagram can also be seen as a form of analytical design because it focuses on accurately and clearly representing information which involves making connections within networks. These networks include centralized, decentralized and distributed organization.

Nevertheless, the aesthetic role of visual elements are still important in communicating information in this process because graphic elements are capable of embodying certain meaning, depicting numerical increments, illustrate relative size, structural links and etc. Graphic elements can be used to convey complex ideas in a clean and minimal way or expressive and evocative fashion.

This reading has been a helpful overview in describing information graphics and the different approaches one can take to represent the information. In my own process I had a difficult time finding quantitative information so I was challenged to find ways to interpret the information I did have in a visually appealing and informative way. While I have indeed made progress in my info graphs without much quantitative information since, I wish I would have read this article sooner to have gotten a better understanding of what is info graphs are/were.

Article Source: Graphic Design the New Basics by Ellen Lupton (pgs 199-211)
 Image Credit: http://www.gdbasics.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment