9.04.2010

VC: "...make lots of creations"

While reading part one of Robert Fritz's article where he describes the pottery class that was divided to accomplish two different tasks, I honestly thought that the quality group would be more successful. I believe it's still possible to create quality work if one focuses in producing quality, but mastery is a different story. I agree with Fritz, "the more you produce, the more mastery you will have." However, quantity doesn't always lead to quality so in part two of the article Fritz explains how structural tension allows quantity to lead to quality. Structural tension is having a clear goal in mind and also a clear perspective of the present reality in relation to the goal. In my previous college, my figure drawing professor was very irregular in her teaching methods. Some days she would require us to produce multiple drawings and on other days we focused on one drawing and at the end of the week we would have critique. She would always set up our easels so that the beginner students were next to someone more advanced, which was very intimidating. I admired the work of the advanced students and most days I was frustrated because I couldn't see any results, but when it was time for critique the changes were evident. We would hang up our drawings in chronological order for comparison and although the improvements were subtle, they were definite. It does takes time to master something so in the words of Fritz, "...make lots of creations."

No comments:

Post a Comment